Top Pediatric Clinic in Naperville, Plainfield, and Joliet IL
At Suburban Healthcare Associates, our experienced pediatric doctor provides skilled, compassionate, and committed care to children of all ages. Contact us today or schedule an appointment online. We have convenient locations to serve you in Naperville IL, Plainfield IL, and Joliet IL.
Table of Contents:
What are the 5 most common childhood illnesses?
What are the signs of ill health in children?
What are the common reasons to visit the pediatric doctor?
What are the benefits of regular visits to pediatric doctors?
A pediatric doctor, also known as a pediatrician, is a physician who specializes in treating children, usually those between the ages of birth and eighteen. They often work in hospitals, clinics, or private practices and may specialize in a particular area, such as birth defects or developmental disorders. They play a key role in the care of children and are often the first doctors a child sees when they are sick or injured.
The five most common childhood illnesses are:
• Common Cold — It comes as no surprise that the common cold is one of the most widespread childhood illnesses. While there is no cure for the cold, it typically clears up on its own within a few days; symptoms can be treated with over-the-counter medications.
• Ear Infections — Ear infections are some of the most common childhood illnesses, especially considering the fact that many children experience recurring infections.
• Influenza — More commonly known as the flu, influenza is a type of virus that can cause symptoms such as fever, chills, sore throat, fatigue, and body aches. Much like the common cold, the infection clears up on its own with symptoms that can be managed with at-home therapies and over-the-counter medicines.
• Bronchitis — Inflammation of the bronchi, also known as bronchitis, occurs when the airways in the lungs swell and produce mucus. This results in coughing, sore throat, soreness in the chest, fatigue, body aches, and headaches. Most cases of bronchitis are caused by a virus that often occurs after an upper respiratory infection, but it can also be caused by inhaling airborne irritants or smoking.
• Conjunctivitis — Known by the more common (and descriptive) name “pink eye,” conjunctivitis is characterized by inflammation of the conjunctiva, the mucous membrane that covers the eyes and inside of the eyelids. The telltale signs of pink eye include redness, discharge (for bacterial infections), itchiness, and swelling in one or both eyes. There are multiple causes, including chemicals, irritants, and allergies, but the contagious type of conjunctivitis is caused by a bacteria or virus that infects the eye.
Worrisome signs that a child may be sick include:
• Appears sleepy with dull eyes
• Little expression on their face
• The cry sounds whiny
• The child is difficult to comfort
• Whimpers off and on
• The child’s cry sounds weak
• The child continues to cry or moan
• The child is fussy when awake
• The child sleeps more than usual
• Little or no interest in playing
• Little appetite/refusing to eat or drink
• Dark yellow urine
• Urinating less frequently than usual
• Little saliva or fewer tears than usual
There are many reasons to visit a pediatric doctor as they provide a number of incredible benefits, from acute care to preventative care. The most common reasons include:
• Wellness Checkups
• Viral illnesses
Regular visits with a pediatric doctor are highly beneficial to children of all ages as it develops a trusting relationship with a healthcare professional that can address all of their needs and help them grow and develop properly. These regular visits are essential to detect early warning signs of chronic health conditions, such as diabetes, allergies, or asthma, as well as developmental disabilities. The longer the relationship, the better care pediatricians can provide to children as they have a detailed understanding of their health, medical history, and current conditions.
Bring your child to Suburban Healthcare Associates for a higher level of care. Call us today to book an appointment with our pediatric doctor, or visit our clinic. We serve patients from Naperville IL, Plainfield IL, Joliet IL, Woodridge IL, Wolfs IL, Warrenville IL, Crystal Lawns IL, Romeoville IL, Lockport IL, Crest Hill IL, Shorewood IL, Gilletts IL, and Fairmont IL.
Additional Cosmetic Services You May Need
▸ Botox Treatments
▸ Injectable Fillers
▸ Laser Treatments
▸ Skin Rejuvenation
▸ Opus: Plasma RF
▸ Accent Prime
▸ Beautifill Laser Liposuction
▸ Emsculpt Neo
Additional Family Care Services You May Need
▸ Medical Weight Loss
▸ Allergy & Asthma
▸ Family Medicine
▸ Senior Care
▸ Travel Clinic
▸ Women’s Health Care
▸ Sleep Studies