4 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Women’s Health Care
Women’s health is an important subject. That is why we put an emphasis on women’s healthcare at Suburban Healthcare Associates. Call us for more information or schedule an appointment online! We have convenient locations to serve you in Naperville IL, Plainfield IL, and Joliet IL.
Table of Contents:
What is a women’s health clinic?
What does a gynecologist check a female for?
What is the difference between a doctor and a gynecologist?
When should I go to a women’s health clinic?
Women’s health refers to the unique factors that affect women, from pregnancy and childbirth to maintaining good sexual and reproductive health. Women have complex needs that need to be properly addressed in order to ensure a good quality of life. Fortunately, there are clinics dedicated to specifically treating women and the health complications that affect them.
Women’s health clinics focus on meeting the health needs and concerns that commonly affect women. As they only treat women, they have a specialized focus that better enables them to fully and accurately address their specific needs. Services offered at women’s health clinics include preventive care, routine medical exams, early diagnosis, the treatment of numerous illnesses and diseases, and the maintenance of overall wellness. With all of these services and more, women’s health clinics are uniquely qualified to help women improve their health and quality of life.
During a gynecological exam, the doctor will check the patient’s weight and take their blood pressure. Then they will perform a physical exam on the genitalia to check for any abnormalities. During the physical examination, the gynecologist may also test for any abnormalities present in the breasts. After the physical examination, they may perform a Pap smear, which collects a sample of cells from the cervix. This is used to test for human papillomavirus (HPV), cervical cancer and other abnormalities. If the patient has been sexually active, the gynecologist will likely perform a test to check for sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), including gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis, and HIV.
Gynecologists and doctors are both physicians who specialize in different fields. ‘Doctor’ is a general term that refers to any medical doctor, including gynecologists. On the other hand, gynecologists practice gynecology and specialize in treating women and the female reproductive system.
It may be recommended to visit a women’s health clinic if you:
• Have any questions or concerns regarding the female reproductive system, including the breasts, the ovaries, the uterus, and the vagina.
• Have any menstrual, fertility, contraception, or pregnancy questions.
• Have any sexual health concerns, including libido, pain or abuse.
• Are seeking a preventive health examination and age-appropriate health screenings.
You may also go to a women’s health clinic if experiencing any of the following conditions, as they are commonly treated by gynecologists:
• Issues relating to pregnancy, menstruation, fertility, and menopause
• Problems with tissues that support the pelvic organs
• Polycystic ovary syndrome
• Urinary and fecal incontinence
• Benign conditions of the reproductive tract, including fibroids, ovarian cysts, vulvar and vaginal ulcers, breast disorders, and other non-cancerous changes
• Premalignant conditions, including endometrial hyperplasia, and cervical dysplasia
• Cancers of the reproductive tract and the breasts
• Pregnancy-related tumors
• Congenital abnormalities of the female reproductive tract
• Endometriosis, a chronic condition affecting the reproductive system
• Pelvic inflammatory diseases, including abscesses
• Sexuality, including health issues relating to relationships, including same-sex and bisexual relationships
• Sexual dysfunction
For top-rated women’s health care, come to Suburban Healthcare Associates today. Our compassionate professionals can provide you with all of your women’s health needs, from screenings to contraception to pregnancy. We are dedicated to providing the highest level of service at each visit and strive to improve the quality of life of every patient. Call us today to book an appointment. We look forward to serving you! We serve patients from Naperville IL, Plainfield IL, Joliet IL, Romeoville IL, Shorewood IL, Crest Hill IL, and Aurora IL.
Additional Cosmetic Services You May Need
▸ Botox Treatments
▸ Injectable Fillers
▸ Laser Treatments
▸ Skin Rejuvenation
▸ Opus: Plasma RF
▸ Accent Prime
▸ Beautifill Laser Liposuction
▸ Emsculpt Neo
Additional Family Care Services You May Need
▸ Medical Weight Loss
▸ Allergy & Asthma
▸ Family Medicine
▸ Senior Care
▸ Travel Clinic
▸ Women’s Health Care
▸ Sleep Studies